8.25.2005

Two funny things.

Two funny things happened today that reaffirmed my faith in Comedy as almighty. The first one was that a guy fell asleep during our show tonight. He was sitting in the front row, had his arms crossed and his head was nodding. I had time to look closely because there's a part in the show where I sit in the dark, very still, for quite a while. So I watched him sleeping. I couldn't believe it. I was trying to figure out how to mention it subtly in my next scene. I couldn't figure out how to mention it subtly. I could only think of doing a puppet show with my hands where one hand is asleep in the audience and the other hand smacks him awake. Actually, that might have been funny. The thing that almost made me lose my shit and crack up in the dark on stage, was when there was a music cue at the end of a scene and it startled him awake. He jumped and for a second clearly could not tell where he was. Oh, man, it was aaawesome.

The second thing that happened was that this evening after the show I pulled up to my house in my broken old car and saw a group of teenagers coming towards me carrying a full sized, round trampoline. There were about six of them and they were trying not to hit the cars with the metal frame. I recognized the trampoline at belonging to my friends, and now neighbours, Steve and Aresh and Steve's son Liam. They recently moved across the street from me and they have a trampoline in the back yard. I followed the teenagers back to the house and Steve and Aresh were outside, waiting for them. Apparently the kids had stolen the trampoline and taken it to the nearby park to entertain themselves. They being East Van teens in the summertime. No money, what to do? But they were bringing it back. One of the kids claimed this was the third time they had stolen it and brought it back but they hadn't been caught before. I hope this is true. I love to think of teenagers on a summer night, stealing a trampoline, playing all night, and then putting it back. It has such a sweetness to it.

The really funny part to me is that that was not the first time I've seen a group of people carrying a trampoline down a street. Not even the same trampoline. I laughed when I realized how familiar the whole scene looked.

In between those two funny events I had sushi with my friend Dana. We ended up at a place called Yuji's on 4th Avenue. Big hungry after the show was done. Lucky us, this is some of the best sushi I've ever eaten. Oh, my God, so good. Tuna that melted like maple sugar in your mouth. Mmm mmmm.

Plus in between the first funny thing and the sushi there was a whole show in which I was really funny tonight. The review in the Province said a nice thing about me yesterday, and while I think it's probably better not to get too excited about things like that or else when they start saying bad stuff it'll suck. But. I can't help it. It was a nice little whisper in my ear.

So today was a good day. Broken car and all. I borrowed my friend Jy's car today for work and figured out all by myself how to turn off the sub woofer. Big stereo. I listened to the Beastie Boys all day. Also good.

I'm going to sleep before something goes horribly awry.

x
r.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that's an awesome couple of stories. i love the teenagers w/trampoline one. you nailed it. a certain kind of sweetness. reminds me of the outsiders or something-i dunno. -sara