2.02.2006

SNUDS

Yes, yes. It has been a good long stretch of time. It's because I have been DOING things. Which is good. Very good. And being a bit put out by being surrounded on all levels by conservative governments. Which means at the municipal level we lose out on the great plan for False Creek/Olympic Village social housing, at the provincial level we are talking about expanding our capacity for cars instead of looking into alternatives to driving, and at the federal level we are poised to sell our souls to the devil from down south. Speaking of the devil, when did George Bush decide he was the champion of alternative energy sources? I mean, heck, I'm all for it, but did you hear his state of the union address? "America (pause here to make it sound like what he's about to say no one has ever said, much less thought before) is addicted to oil. (pronounced ayhl). The only way to break this addiction is through technology, by looking into alternative energy sources." Do you think it's possible Bush finally read a book? I wonder.

On a completely different note, I met two Greek Orthodox Monks the other day. I had no idea there was a monastery on the Sunshine Coast, but apparently there is. And these two young men, full beards, black skullcaps, dressed kind of like squeegee punks, their city clothes I guess, have made a lifetime committment to living at the monastery. I said it must be very peaceful there, and they both got kind of beatific looks on their faces and said, yes, it is very peaceful. It's an interesting choice, devoting yourself to the study of your religion.

I have recently been dubbed a SNUD. A Semi Nomadic Urban Dweller. I think it's very apt, and am happy to have a crowd. Seems to me so many people I know fall into this category. Moving every two years, or more, couch surfing for months at a time, subletting, housesitting. I'm going to launch a sociological study. It came up with my friend Brad, an artist who is in constant motion, and always wishing to be still for a few years in a row. I always think I want a stable home, too, but things come up, my feet get itchy. I think it has something to do with not having decided that where we are is where we want to settle. You gotta give your career some serious attention and see where it wants you to go. Or, as in the case of some, you just keep choosing the wrongest places to live. Ceilings caving in and whatnot. Anyway, when I have some FREE TIME (HA!) I'll dive into the study.

I have already got myself a pile of projects that I am wading through, joyfully, but all of which demand more of my attention. Standup had to lose out for a while, but hopefull is coming back around. Plus actual job, plus writing all these plays, plus learning Final Cut Pro, plus the teaching job, it's a lot. But every little bit is so good, so I'm trying to carve out spots for everything. Keeping my fingers crossed that my sublet wants to stay overseas a couple months longer, otherwise it's almost time to move again!!!!! SNUD, through and through.

x
r.

No comments: